[mdlug] Installing Kubuntu on Windows 11 HP laptop

Bob rmdion at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:33:29 EST 2022

   Well, at least you got Linux installed and running
Bob

   On 11/21/22 11:50AM, R KANNAN wrote:

   Meant to CC the MDLUG Group.

   On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 7:23 PM R Kannan <[1]rk111810 at gmail.com> wrote:

     Thanks for your pointers. But unfortunately even before I could get
     through the installation, the file system was somehow corrupted and
     was not able to resize the bitlocker partition. Windows 11 boot
     would
     not even go through and would not even allow me to enter the
     bitlocker
     key that I had handy.
     So I had to basically clobber the windows partitions and install
     Kubuntu. However I was not having the 'Turn-mylaptop-into-a-brick'
     fear
     as I used to in older days. Kubuntu seems to be working fine and I
     may
     not regret clobbering Windows 11.
     On 11/20/22 11:36 AM, Bob wrote:
     >     I also found this:
     >
     >     1 About BitLocker recovery key
     >
     >     Please log in to [2]aka.ms/myrecoverykey with your Microsoft
     account

     >     Find the recoverykey corresponding to your computer name and
     record it

     >     Right-click your locked drive, select Turn off BitLocker, and
     enter
     >     recoverykey, wait for completion to unlock bitlocker
     >
     >     2 Boot into surface UEFI (after a complete shutdown, press and
     hold
     >     volume + and power at the same time to power on)
     >
     >     select boot configuration
     >
     >     Find enable boot configuration lock and change it to off
     >
     >     Other systems can then be installed.
     >
     >     ---
     >
     >     Hope this helps
     > Bob
     >
     >     On 11/20/22 9:08AM, R Kannan wrote:
     >
     >       All,
     >       Following up on my Kubuntu trial run, I tried installing.
     Kubuntu
     >       installer does not have seem to have an option to resize the
     >       bitlocker partion that the laptop came with as the installer
     does no
     >       recognize this partition.
     >       There are basically four options:
     >       Guided - use entire disk
     >       Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM
     >       Guided entire disk and set up encrypted LVM
     >       Manual
     >       When I select Manual it does not allow me to shrink the
     bitlocker
     >       partition.
     >       Is wiping out the current windows OS the only way to install
     Kubuntu
     >       on this laptop? Also the kubuntu installer does not change
     anything
     >       in the partition table till I hit the final install button.
     Am I
     >       right?
     >       Thanks
     >       On 11/15/22 8:24 PM, R Kannan wrote:
     >
     >       Meant to send this to the list.
     >       Also I found something strange on this laptop, It has some
     bitlocker
     >       backup system which does not boot into windows if you had
     booted
     >       into another OS. It thinks may be the system is somehow
     compromised
     >       and wants you to enter a 48 digit number stored as key in
     Microsoft
     >       account. Don't know who is the genius who thought of it. Not
     sure
     >       how it knows I logged into another OS because I booted off a
     USB