[mdlug] Fwd: I can't email to mdlug at mdlug.org

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Tue Jan 4 07:44:21 EST 2022

Yes, I'd be glad to.

There was a time that the mdlug server was getting
hit hard with spam and penetration attempts.  Since
most of this was coming from ISPs for home networks
and apparently compromised servers, I began blocking
email connections from various subnets.  With time it
became obvious that many of these subnets would
be part of a larger network, so I took a two-fold
approach: specifically allow the known good addresses
and block the bad larger networks.

This may seem drastic, but I needed to do something
quickly.  Since then there have been a few times good
senders have been blocked.  As soon as I find out
about it I investigate what IP addresses are allowed
to send email for a given domain.  The easy case is
when a proper SPF record has been provided.  For
example, "host -t txt carltm.com" displays my policy:
"v=spf1 a mx ip4:76.242.102.73 ip4:68.66.205.172 -all"

When no SPF records are found, I ask the person to
send email to carl at carltm.com and use the headers
to find the blocked IP address, which I can then allow.

Just an update...I plan to rebuild the mdlug mail/web
server sometime later this year and will find a better
automated solution to deal with unwanted connections.

Any questions?