[mdlug] Fixing grub with dual boot

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sun Oct 25 19:50:26 EDT 2020

On Oct 17, 2020, at 10:07 PM, JeremyBekka C <jrchristophel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Lenovo desktop computer that is dual booted with Linux Mint and
> Window 10. Windows 10 was installed with UEFI, while Linux Mint was
> installed without UEFI. The computer automatically boots into Linux, so if
> I want to get into Windows I have to hit F12 at startup to get the boot
> priority window. Is there any way for me to fix this without having to
> reinstall Linux?

You need to convert your Linux Mint to use UEFI to boot.  I don’t know the packages for Mint, but you need to install packages that install into the UEFI volume where Windows has its bootloader (usually the first partition on a GPT-formatted disk, it has an EFI directory and is a fat32 filesystem.  Mount the filesystem before installing any packages.  You’ll need to convert your grub2 configuration to use UEFI syntax too.

Once you have a UEFI grub executable, it can launch the Win10 bootloader.