[mdlug] Question about swap spaces

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue May 12 09:12:11 EDT 2020

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 07:58:18AM -0400, email5000 at usa.com wrote:
> So, considering the 'surprise' about needing a swap partition, I'M
> assuming that the comments are based on assumptions about NAS's based on
> what is currently available. I don't see any disagreement between my
> understanding of it all and with any of the comments, as far as why/when
> swap spaces are needed - I think we're in agreement. The space is just
> not available within the confines of the internal ROM/RAM on my NAS. So,
> I think I actually do need a swap partition. As for having multiple swap
> partitions, I was thinking about 'corruption' of data between the
> services (or any of the 'goings-on', however you want to say it),
> especially with the scenario I mentioned: If your mm server is generally
> accessible on the web, but your workspace (on a separate partition) is
> data-sensitive (and obviously would NOT be available anywhere outside
> its own realm), then you wouldn't want any 'cross-contamination'. I know
> this may seem so very unlikely - but hey, hiccups happen !! But then, if
> the workspace area were so data-sensitive, then you should probably be
> using a completely different NAS - not the one with a publicly available
> server !!

Are you asking if your NAS device, which is a Linux system, needs a
swap partition?  Yes.  Does it need one per-share?  No.  The linux
memory-manager doesn't partition how it stores data in swap that way.
But having swap on a NAS would help a bit, since it could offload
infrequently accessed memory blocks to swap and leave real RAM to use
for I/O buffers and disk cache.