[mdlug] dd-wrt update

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:46:53 EST 2020

'I've now got the router updated to build 40559, and secured with wpa (a
max-length random string), and accepting usb media.

To make it proof against power interruption, the goal is to have all usb media
be read-only at all times except if I manually set it otherwise. This calls
for a script on a partition that mounts in the same place all the time.
Apparent choices are /jffs and /opt, as there is a setting in the GUI to
mount a partition by UUID on each.

My attempts at each were failing, so I had been resigned to putting the script
on every USB drive to be used on the router and have the nvram data point to
/tmp/mnt/sda1. It occurred to me to try swapping usb ports to see if which
port each drive was plugged into determined which one was sda. No luck there,
so noticing that the one coming up on sda1 was the one I had Labeled
DD-WRT-TOOLS and the one on sdb1 was called FILES, I decided to see if they
were coming up sorted by Label. On a whim I decided I could chase two pieces
of information at the same time and re-Labeled the first one JFFS2.

It came up mounted on /jffs!

So now I have a dedicated USB stick for working scripts that's always in the
same place, and can have the router do what I need it to do. (It was also
supposed to be possible to use the unused portion of the 8M that the Linux
system is on as /jffs, but attempts still fail there. So I'll have to make
do with three USB ports on the hub instead of four.)

A couple of things still elude me though:

* I have given the router instructions to assign addresses 192.168.1.50 through
52 to my laptop computer and my two working Android phones. It's assigning
50 to the laptop and 51 to the BLU phone; but it's refusing to assign 52
to the Aristo, putting it on 126 instead.

* I also have instructions to use the BLU phone on 51 as the NTP source,
and entries in the NAT-QoS/Port Forwarding tab to move the data back and
forth between port 123 and 39123 to get around the Android port blocking,
as I had gotten working for one of the Raspberry Pis. So far, it's still
failing to update the time when I turn on the time server on the phone
and connect it to the router. The nvram variables related to this read:

forward_spec=ntp:on:both:123>192.168.1.51:39123<192.168.1.1
ntp:on:both:39123>192.168.1.1:123<192.168.1.51
ntp_server=192.168.1.51
ntp_success=0
ntp_mode=auto
ntp_enable=1