[mdlug] Static IP behind NAT with Xfinity

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Wed Aug 5 09:12:51 EDT 2020

Greetings,

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020, R KANNAN wrote:

> Thanks. I did follow the instructions but as I said in my previous email, I
> do not see static IP being set in the */etc/network/interfaces *file. There
> is no reference to eth0 at all in the file.  Only the loop back.

    /etc/network/interfaces has been depricated and no longer used.  Leave
it to the snot-nosed pimply-faced kids to mess up a good thing and make
changes that are unneccesary :(

    Newer distros are now favoring /etc/dhcpcd.conf as the place to edit
static addresses.  Also now some ding-dong decided that ETH0 was not a
"predictable" interface name and think that "enxb827ebe0583e" is *more*
predictable because it contains the MAC address of the interface.  DUH!

    On Rasperian that is easily changed back to ETH0 using the raspi-config
tool (from the command line, NOT the GUI).  How you do it in other
distros, I'm not sure...

    Here is my snippet of code in /etc/dhcpcd.conf where I set a statis IP
on my ethernet interface:

#
# sudo raspi-config
#  N2 Network
#     "Predictable Interface Names" should be set to NO
#
# Static IP configuration:
#  Modified JJN 20200712
#
interface eth0
###interface enxb827ebe0583e
static ip_address=23.115.92.205/29
###static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64  <--- static IPv6
static routers=23.115.92.206
static domain_name_servers=23.115.92.201
### .... 8.8.8.8 fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::1  <--- IPv6 DNS server

    Hope this helps!

       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL