[mdlug] WiFi signal and channel # scanner utilities was....(Re: mdlug Digest, Vol 162, Issue 13)

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Apr 24 14:17:51 EDT 2020

 From my experience there are two factors that can
affect wifi performance which can be easily managed.
While they can be performed using Linux with the
NetworkManager, it is easier to use a smart phone
with a wifi app.

First is the choice of frequencies.  Frequencies 1, 6,
and 11 are the best to use.  Find which one has the
least usage in your area and select that.

Second is the physical setting, which is easier to check
with something very portable.  What you want to do is
check the signal strength at all the locations where
you need a good signal.  Thick walls, microwave ovens,
wireless phones (not cell phones) and metal objects
need to be considered.  Put your access point at a
test spot, then walk around using the wifi monitor to
see you get an acceptable signal everywhere.  If not,
either try another location, or consider getting a
wifi relay device.

Any questions?