[mdlug] Fwd: Windows 7 screen after dual boot

David L Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Sat Apr 11 15:11:08 EDT 2020

The reason I got pulled away from the meeting...

One of our laptops is dual-boot, Windows 7 Enterprise and Debian
Stable.  My youngest child decided to reboot it to Windows 7, and it
comes up with the following screen, has sat there for at least 15
minutes, no clue when it'll finish...

    *Your computer was unable to start.*
    Startup Repair is checking your system for problems...

    If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically.
    Your computer might restart several times during this process.

    No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This
    might take several minutes.

Since Windows 7 is out of support, I have some inclination to just wipe
that part of the disk and make it single-boot; but my kids want to keep
Windows 7 in particular for the following applications:

  * Angry Birds (youngest child)
  * Roblox (second-youngest child, my daughter, who you saw on the meeting)
  * Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, City Skylines, maybe a few others (oldest
    child)

I wonder if my modification to /etc/rc.local that uses Widows's
"PAGEFILE.SYS" as an additional swapfile triggered the check, or if it's
just a fancy front-end to full-sidk CHKDSK (like fsck after 180 days
without a check...)

Anyone seen this particular screen before, and know of a key-sequence to
skip it, or other workaround? Any suggestions for how to run Angry Birds
on Linux, or of a similar Linux alternative?