[mdlug] Ubuntu LIcense

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Aug 14 12:01:11 EDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 01:24:45PM +0000, gib at juno.com wrote:

> I'm having some difficulty understanding the Ubuntu license.
> I see it listed as GPL and then I see more complicated explanations.
> So, which is it?

Ubuntu distributes software licensed by the GPL, as well as several
other licenses (BSD, MIT, Perl, Python, etc.).  However, the content
of the installer has copyrighted content (such as the Ubuntu and
Canonical Logos).  The installer is probably GPL'd too.  Content on
their web site and documentation seems to be published under a
Creative Commons CC-BY-SA version 3.0 UK license.

So, there's a lot of stuff here.  It's not all covered by the GPL.