[mdlug] Upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 makes hardware clock stay on UTC

R Kannan rk111810 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:55:51 EDT 2017

Hi

I had Mythbuntu 12.04 with hardware clock set to local time and using
ACPI (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup) to wake up the system
from hibernation to record programs and do other scheduled tasks. It was
all working OK. Note that the hardware clock update is disabled (Section
3) in order for this to work.

When I upgraded to 14.04 I found that hardware clock reverted to UTC. I
changed the following line in /etc/default/rcS

UTC=yes

UTC=no

I found that the hardware clock reverts back to UTC whenever the system
wakes up from hibernation on its own. It does not happen if I manually
bring it up. According the following link, the above is the only change
I need to do for Ubuntu 14.04

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Make_Linux_use_.27Local.27_time

Any ideas on what is resetting the hardware clock?

Thanks for any help