[mdlug] Version control: tools and training

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:15:18 EST 2017

My customer uses Perforce which is cross-platform with GUI and command-line
tools.  It has a free license that is limited by number of users and
workspaces (systems it is installed on per user account).  Licenses for
larger number of users is not free.  I find it is relatively easy to use
and understand.  You set up a directory on all systems for "work" then add
it to the Perforce repo.  Files are "checked-in" to the repo.  Other
clients can obtain any version checked-in of any file (there are access
controls also).  To edit a file you check it out first otherwise it's
read-only on your system.  It can merge source files from multiple users
(simultaneous edits) but not non-text files.

Perforce recently acquired Seapine Software who developed the
cross-platform TestTrack bug tracking system.

Perforce has tutorials on its web site.