[mdlug] Linux and Church Sound Booth

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 22:26:03 EDT 2016

I think it depends on what their needs are for the computer.  You may
want to gather some requirements before you make any particular
recommendations.  For instance, it's difficult to replace a Windows
desktop running PowerPoint with a Linux desktop running OpenOffice
Impress.  Can it be done, sure.  But is everyone that volunteers running
OpenOffice and using Impress at home?  Probably not.  Are there other
volunteers that are Linux savvy or is it just you (especially
considering the comment about the tech guy)?  Are you always there every
weekend to answer questions and provide support?  Who do they call if
they have problems?  IMHO, getting a better idea what their needs are
and who will be using it and how, are critical to the success of this
upgrade.  I advocate using Linux where and when it makes sense, not just
because you can.

-Mike