[mdlug] To FLAC or not to FLAC

Brandon Fotiu brandon at fotiu.com
Wed Nov 30 09:18:22 EST 2016

If you're not going to keep the CDs long term then FLAC to archive makes
sense. FLAC is a good format but an album is 2-4x the size of a similar
lossy encoded OGG/MP3 version.

For playback, Variable Bit Rate (VBR) OGG (open source) or MP3
(proprietary) encoding with a low rate of 192Kbps and high rate of
320Kbps should sound great.

Good luck!

--Brandon Fotiu

 KE8DVY