[mdlug] So... SMART tools. Do they work, and if so how?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 21 15:21:50 EDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-03-18 at 16:01 +0000, Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> 1.Do SMART tools actually work in practice?

They accomplish their *narrow* purpose.

> Is there anything I could have done differently to get even a hint of
> warning about this?

I have pretty good using a dull-tap-on-spin-up to get another few
cycles out of a chunk-chunk-at-power-on;  this is often related to
failed bearings/spindles rather than media damage.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383
openSUSE, a LINUX desktop for humans who need to get work done.