[mdlug] create a series of courses

Gmail-otakurider otakurider at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:36:42 EST 2016

On 03/04/2016 09:10 AM, gib at juno.com wrote:
>  A DRAFT idea: Setting up a new computer can have many small obstacles but it can be easy if you walk through the steps carefully. Selecting an operating system that you are familiar with the first time will help.  I would like to create a series of courses that start very easy then build skills as you go along. Something like this: 1. create a virtual machine using Linux and learn some common commands 2. Create a webpage and start a webserver 3. Create or start a database and input some records 4. Create a program and use the webpage and program to update some database records. I just need a lot of time or a lot of help. Any volunteers?

gib..

I would be happy to help on the VM and web server sections.

I have written a document for the UDM labs on how to install a virtual
machine guest and host setup using virtual box.
It goes into installing virtual box, installing the guests OS, (at the
time it was 12.04 ubuntu but its clear enough to allows for most any
host), installing guest extensions and some tweeking of setting to make
it run faster.  I also have a little for Mac's Parallels VM software but
I do find VirtualBox seems to work with more systems both host and
guests.  Not much on VMware desktop, other then the ESXServer versions.

Done a bunch of Fedora, Ubuntu, Raspberry pi and some large iron
webserver setup and congigurations as well.

Pat