[mdlug] Crush, Kill, Destroy!!

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jul 5 07:06:05 EDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-05 at 01:40 +0800, Drew wrote:
> Could someone, possibly at or after the next meeting, teach me the
> finer points of working an Android phone? More specifically:
> * Preferred apps

What do you want to do?  Apps have purposes.

My favorites are K-9 [mail] and WebDAV NAV [for utilizing a WebDAV
server].  Also CalDAV-Sync and CardDAV-Sync for connecting to Open
contact and calendar back-ends.

> * Security and permissions (Why does an app whose sole purpose is to
> turn the camera flash LED on and off have to take up 6 megabytes -
> and generate 18 megabytes of dada???)

Sometimes this is less pernicious than it seems.  One downside of
sandboxing is that apps are larger.

> * To root or not to root, how best to do it, and what it means *in
> detail*

I've never seen the point.

* VNC Viewer and a couple of SSH clients

Have you tried to *USE* VNC viewer from a phone?  IMO it is hopeless.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>