[mdlug] After power outage desktop won't boot.

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:02:26 EDT 2016

Check CMOS battery voltage.  If less than 3V then replace it (usually a
CR2032 battery available from Walmart, etc.)  Then clear the CMOS.
Clearing the CMOS is usually performed via a motherboard jumper but you can
try shorting out the battery holder contacts with the battery removed and
power supply turned off (a separate switch in the back or just unplug it
from the wall).  Then turn it on and enter the BIOS setup and set the clock
and other settings (see motherboard manual).

When the battery voltage gets too low it can't maintain the BIOS settings.
Sometimes this isn't obvious until AC power is lost and the CMOS contents
get scrambled.  At boot the BIOS either complains about the settings being
invalid and the clock/date is reset, or it hangs.