[mdlug] Social Media for the Club

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 13:26:59 EDT 2015

Le 2015-03-24, Monsieur Jeff Hanson a ecrit:
> I'm on Reddit.  In many ways it's like a BBS with voting.

I visit http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/fedora
occasionally. The /r/fedora subreddit is decent, but /r/linux has
become a distro fanboy mess. The downvoting of posts that these fanboys
disagree with is simply annoying. If there is an /r/mdlug subreddit then
I'd prefer that downvoting (which can hide posts) be disabled. Some
subreddits have done that. Even disabling upvoting might be a good idea,
if discussion is what we really care about.

Moderation on Reddit appears to be a full-time job. Not just because of
spam, but also due to the average age of people on Reddit being 16 or so.
In the Reddit demographic Haskell is the greatest programming language,
Arch is the greatest Linux distro, and gay jokes and links to porn images
are considered funny. You have to be careful clicking a link in Reddit,
especially if you're at work (sometimes links are tagged as "NSFW",
meaning Not Safe For Work, but often they are not, and it's up to the
person posting them to tag them). So prepare for some silliness.
Reddit used to be better but it has deteriorated the last few years.

Michael