[mdlug] Systemd and all of it's nonsensical BS

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Mon Feb 23 10:18:56 EST 2015

Greetings Aaron (et al),

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Are there any distros other than Slackware that haven't been borg-like
> consumed by this atrocious act of sabotage and vandalism?
>
> SysV Init has problems but systemd seems to cause more problems than
> what it fixes.

    Agreed.  While teaching Unix/Linux SysAdmin at Washtenaw Community
College it was EASY to teach SysVinit because it made sense.  I would then
introduce systemd and the stoodies would react like, WTF!!!!????

    They then fully understood why I refered to these programmers as
"Snot-nosed, Pimply-faced kids" - who were changing things not for the
better, but just because they *could* and they had the POWER.

    Early in the classes we taught the basis of Unix being, "do just one
thing, but do it really really really really really really really really
really really really well!"

    To the stoodies, it appeared that systemd was "hiding" something under
the covers.  Which led to NSA discussions and conspiracies.  It appeared
that if systemd was 'supposed' to improve boot-up times, they had clearly
overleached their goal by messing with logging, etc.  And some stoodies
even thought that maybe some out-of-work programmers from Microsoft
decided to try their hand at Linux, and managed to convert it to run more
like Microsoft code than we had ever seen before.

    These newbie students seemed to SEE what was going on, more so than
those that had been in the Unix/Linux field for decades.  These kids could
see all sorts of problems where systemd *changed* the basis that Unix was
built upon and had suceeded for decades using that implied standard - do
one thing, but do it really really....really well.

    I am ready to go back to FreeBSD for my servers.  Linux has drifted
away from its origins and thus has lost my support.

       --- Jay Nugent
           Ypsilanti, MI

         () ascii ribbon campaign in
         /\ support of plain text e-mail

  o Averaging at least 3 days of MTBWTF!?!?!?
  o The solution for long term Internet growth is IPv6.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design              |
|   ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP Performance Monitoring       |