[mdlug] Systemd and all of it's nonsensical BS

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:29:50 EST 2015

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-02-22 at 14:41 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> Are there any distros other than Slackware that haven't been borg-like
>> consumed by this atrocious act of sabotage and vandalism?
>
> Likely not.  Systemd is the mainstream answer, someone using something
> else would have a lot of code to write.
>
>> SysV Init haa problems but systemd seems to cause more problems than what it fixes.
>
> Don't bother getting specific.

And it has NEVER DONE what it claimed it would do, as the original
justification for the switch (faster boot times...as if we all
run computers for no other purpose than booting up)

But since you seem to be so uninformed,
http://ewontfix.com/14
http://ewontfix.com/15

The fundamental design-level problems with systemd are myriad
I have neither the time, nor inclination to type them all
out here, when all you have to do is use google.

Eric S Raymond correctly noted that process 1 should be so simple
that it is provably bug-free, and therefore NEVER needs to be replaced
during an upgrade, because if process 1 has a bug and needs to be
replaced, what if your replacement either fails to exec() properly,
or has an even bigger bug?

Non-human readable log files... which then needs a specialized
log-reader just to interpret it (and how will we be able to
look at a 5-year old log file, if any part of the logfile format
gets changed... now say you're a financials company....and you're
in court... and you can't even read the system log files from
when some sort of crime occurred using your computers.

And lets not get on the fact that essential system boot up
programs like /bin/mount had to be moved to /usr/bin/mount
[for absolutely NO reason which makes a lick of sense, and
why couldn't this conspiracy of incompetents not just create
a symbolic link from /usr/bin/mount to /bin/mount????]

If you're familiar with the term "code smell", then systemd
stinks like the waste pile outside of a fish-processing plant
on a hot, humid, summer day.