[mdlug] xargs guide

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 15:00:15 EDT 2015

Le 2015-07-30, Monsieur Paul a ecrit:
>> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>, on Wed  2015.07.29 said:
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/xargs.htm
>
> Also, as an aged person, I appreciate
> the font you use that should be visible from low earth orbit.

That gigantic font might be good for old-timers like you, but to me
it made the guide almost unreadable. Fonts that size work better for
titles and other short amounts of text, not for entire paragraphs.

As for the guide itself, it seemed too much like a disorganized
hodge-podge, and was way too verbose, causing the technical information
to get lost. Frankly, I think the xargs man page is much better; it's
far more concise and has good examples.

Even more off-putting than the excess verbosity were the many
references to "I" and "me" throughout the guide. Textbook authors tend
to avoid doing that for precisely that reason; only a few have ever
successfully pulled it off, and even then it can be polarizing (e.g.
D. Griffiths' physics books). To make matters worse, statements like
"That would be a firing offense at Troubleshooters.Com, where I control
everything," and "Because I'm a fairly smart person" make it seem
like the author needs to tone down the ego a notch or three. It's
especially silly in a simple guide such as this.

Michael