[mdlug] shellshock - Bash Version not updated after corrective act ion

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Sat Sep 27 11:52:05 EDT 2014

I have some systems running Ubuntu.  I keep them up-to-date.

This (9/27/2014) morning I ran the script and found they were not safe.
I updated
Here is the method:
1. Go to the upper left corner in the main screen and click on the wheel.
2. Select the option "About this Computer".
3. Click on: "Install Updates".

I see the script now says that it is safe.
But the version of Bash has not changed.

Here is a before and after shell results:

gib at gib-fourcore:~$ env x='() { :;}; echo -n NOT\ ' bash -c 'echo safe from shellshock'
NOT safe from shellshock
gib at gib-fourcore:~$ /bin/bash -version
GNU bash, version 4.3.11(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
gib at gib-fourcore:~$ /bin/bash -version
GNU bash, version 4.3.11(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
gib at gib-fourcore:~$ env x='() { :;}; echo -n NOT\ ' bash -c 'echo safe from shellshock'
safe from shellshock
gib at gib-fourcore:~$