[mdlug] Raspberry Pi, VNC, Bluetooth

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Sat Sep 13 06:42:19 EDT 2014

Drew wrote:
> I've written a shell script that extracts from the output of ifconfig
> the last octet of the Pi's IP address on eth0 and flashes it
> repeatedly on the green LED. I plan to add the same for wlan0 when I
> get a wifi dongle. I want this to run in the background, continuously,
> and to start at the end of the boot process.. What is the "proper" way
> to set it up?

If you have an /etc/rc.local file, I'd add an entry to it
to that file and be sure to end it with an ampersand.  For
example:

echo "/usr/local/sbin/myscript &" >> /etc/rc.local

If you do not have an /etc/rc.local file, I'd suggest
creating an init file to run /etc/rc.local if it exists.
Where that file would be created and its contents would
depend on which distro you're using.