[mdlug] Raspberry Pi, VNC, Bluetooth

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:30:35 EDT 2014

I'm bringing the Pi to the meeting, along with my router, so that
anyone who wishes can play around with it. (Bring a VNC client.)

Being that stock Raspberry Pis are severely lacking in I/O devices
(mouse, keboard, screen), I've set up a VNC server on this one, and
got hold of a J2ME VNC client to run on the Blackberry 9650. A VNC
client run from the desktop also works, and is easier to use than a
USB keboard and TV set.

I'm looking for a way to do the same thing through Bluetooth, as I
already have a USB Bluetooth dongle, and would have to go out and buy
one for WiFi if I want to make the whole thing portable.

I've found a package called Anyremote (anyremote.sourceforge.net)
which I've actually managed to get to compile and run on the Pi, with
a companion J2ME app of its own. It's not VNC; you have to write a
.cfg file for what you want the desktop machine to do, though there's
a directory full of sample .cfg files that I'm still in the process of
figuring out. From the looks of things, it's *theoretically* possible
to write a script that would behave like a VNC server, but it would
have to be done almost from scratch, and would be a rather large
project. And it's not certain that the performance would be tolerably
fast. Also, I've only been able to get the keys 0 through 9, *, and #
on the phone to work through it so far.

There's also a project called Blue-vnc, which is supposed to impliment
a VNC server through Bluetooth. (code.google.com/p/blue-vnc). However,
I've not been able to find the actual source files for this one.