[mdlug] Raspberry PI to be used as a beacon - fail

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Mon Nov 10 14:58:42 EST 2014

I was interested in getting a Raspberry PI to be used as a beacon.This is intended to give you an innovation challenge as an option in case you don’t get actual beacons. I followed the instructions given in these links.   The status command was indicating that the Raspberry Pi was transmitting.But my phone didn't see any data. My phone is a Samsung S4 which has a "iBeacon Detector" application that works with a real beacon. Equipment: 1. Raspberry PI B. These can be purchased locally at MIcroCenter.com for about $20 – 35. Do not get the Raspberry PI A since you need two USB ports.2. Asus BT400 Bluetooth Low Energy dongle. They have 10 of these at the local MicroCenter.com for about $20 each.3. A monitor.4. Cable to connect monitor (determine the monitor connector) to the Raspberry PI (HDMI (v1.4), RCA / composite).5. A micro USB power cord.6. An SD card (4 gigabyte minimum). This is the standard physical size.7. Power cable for the monitor. Set up:I have a detail write-up on how to create the image on the SD card.  This is described many places on the web.A few examples:http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-install-Rasbian-Wheezy-on-the-Raspberry-P/ http://itsfoss.com/tutorial-how-to-install-raspberry-pi-os-raspbian-wheezy/ I used the Raspbian Wheezy version 2014-09-09.  Here is detailed instructions for the beacon install. https://learn.adafruit.com/pibeacon-ibeacon-with-a-raspberry-pi/setting-up-the-pi Here is the Bluetooth details for the Asus BT400. http://urbanjack.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/bluetooth-low-energy-ble-on-raspberry-pi-wi
th-asus-bt-400/  Note: I was not able to get my phone to see the beacon data.