[mdlug] Fw: RE: Room 30 at HFCL, idea for a quick presentation

Kirk Ellis kirk at thatcybersecurityguy.com
Tue Nov 4 10:36:45 EST 2014

I have Linux Mint Cinnamon 17, Linux Mint KDE 17, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS,
openSUSE 13.2, Fedora 20 and Kali Linux 1.0.9 installed in VMware Player
on my laptop.  Of course, Fedora 21 is just around the corner and Ubuntu
14.10 was just released.  I could give a quick demonstration on how to
install a Linux guest OS into VMware Player to show how easy it is to
run a full blown Linux guest OSs on top of Window 7.  This is also a
good sandboxing solution for exploring the infected Internet.  This is a
good time for it as VMware just released a new 6.0.4 build of their
Player software.

I could also demonstrate running the Tor Browser Bundle from a guest
Linux OS thus not exposing the laptop core Windows OS to Tor which is
unsafe at the entrance and exit relays.  We could also talk about the
Tails project who just released Tails 1.2 October 16 as a LIVE solution
to surf in Internet with anonymity and privacy. https://tails.boum.org

If someone has a Windows 8.1 laptop I hear that Microsoft's Hyper-V
virtualization solution runs Linux OSs even better than VMware and I
would personally like to see that.

Is the next meeting this coming Saturday?

Kirk Ellis, ThatCyberSecurityGuy, LLC