[mdlug] Raspberry Pinewood Derby

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Thu Mar 27 08:55:44 EDT 2014

> From: Ingles, Raymond

> Storing to a RAM disk, to free up USB bandwidth, would probably allow 120fps (~18MB/sec).

Well, I tried it a few days ago, and no dice. I set up a ramdisk (well, technically, a tmpfs filesystem, but same diff), and tried dumping the video there.

Sadly, if I configured the camera for 90fps, I still saw wildly varying framerates, never more than about 85fps. If I configured for 120fps, I got no video at all. Ffmpeg didn't give errors, but never actually produced any video either. I think 75fps is the best I can hope for out of the Pi. In theory, their camera board may next year be capable of 90fps (at 640x480, even) but at that point I'll probably just bring a 'real' computer along, or put together a circuit or two.

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it