[mdlug] Virtual Server Time

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Fri Mar 14 15:41:14 EDT 2014

Michael ORourke wrote:

> Rather than discount Virtual Box altogether, I would keep that as an
> option.  So what if it is slower than other hypervisors?  Best to look at
> the big picture and scope of the project.  Sometimes building something
> simple that can easily be supported out-weighs a complex high performance
> solution that is difficult to manage.  Now if you were building an
> enterprise-level virtual environment for hundreds of virtual servers, I
> would recommend something other than Virtual Box.  But 3 VMs can be
> managed fairly easily with Virtual Box.

And after mentioning how much easier it is to manage KVM,
I completely forgot to say that VirtualBox is my favorite
hypervisor for use anywhere that I can't run KVM.  It
works great with 32 or 64 bit kernels, it doesn't required
cpu virtualization support, it runs on Windows and vms can
be copied from a Linux host to a Windows host.  Also it,
like KVM, supports all the standard virtual disk formats,
allowing importing and exporting vms from HyperV and VMWare
files.