[mdlug] Raspberry Pinewood Derby

Mat Enders mat.enders at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 00:43:49 EST 2014

you could hook the pi up to a holding physical switches on a teeter along
with something on the start line and capture all of the times

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Ingles, Raymond <
Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:

> Used my Raspberry Pi at my sons' Cub Scout Pinewood Derby yesterday. It
> was a quick hack set up with about two hours of experimentation, but it
> worked.
>
> I hooked up a Playstation Eye (the PS3 version of the EyeToy) to the Pi
> and used it to record the finish line. The Eye is capable of 120fps at
> 320x240 resolution (125fps by some reports), but the best I could reliably
> get out of the Pi was 75fps. And to do that, I had to eliminate any and all
> recoding; I was just dumping the raw video directly to a file via ffmpeg.
> In my experiments, I never saw the Pi pull down more than 90fps at a burst.
>
> The Pi couldn't even play that 75fps video back at full speed; it pegged
> the CPU at around 30-40fps. (I imagine if I'd recoded it, it would have
> done better. It was YUV422 video, and had to be software-converted to RGB
> to play.)
>
> Anyway, I set it up to play at 15fps - which only hit maybe 50% of the CPU
> - then paused and went frame-by-frame when the cars appeared on the screen.
> They were a tad blurry, but there was only one race out of several dozen
> that was too close to call and had to be re-run. Next year I want to set up
> at least a sensor to trigger the start of recording. And I'll see if I can
> do enough vision processing to pick out the frame where the cars cross the
> finish line.
>
> All the scripts and such are home, but I'll see if I can extract and post
> them here. Not a bad hack for stuff I had just laying around.
>
> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It
> contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
> addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
> disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us
> immediately and then destroy it

Mathew E. Enders

"Where once Samba and Apache sold Linux to the world they are now just part
of the plumbing.  But that's OK, plumbers make good money."
--Jeremy Allison