[mdlug] Semi-OT: SteamOS

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Jun 23 14:23:37 EDT 2014

Valve software (who developed Half-Life and the sequels, Portal and its sequel, etc.) have had their game publishing platform Steam available for Linux for a while now. A decent fraction of the games available on Steam run on Linux - and if you buy a game, you can run it on any and all platforms it runs on. I can play, say, Portal on Windows and move to Linux, and it syncs the game saves via the cloud. Overall nice.

In what's presumably a bid to become less dependent on Microsoft, Valve has come out with the 'SteamOS' concept - a custom Linux distribution (Debian-based) intended to run Steam and its games. Eventually they hope to have "Steam Box" home-theater PCs to run it.

Early versions are available, and people have even customized the software to some extent. I had an old computer to mess with, so I showed my oldest son how to upgrade the RAM and put in a hard drive, and we installed an unofficial version of SteamOS that doesn't require EUFI or Nvidia video cards and such: https://directhex.github.io/steamos-installer/?r3

The test machine is definitely old and substantially below the recommended specs. It's got a Celeron 1.8GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, an 80GB hard drive and Intel GMA 3100 graphics. (*Not* Intel HD, the older GMA style.) But SteamOS installed and booted. There was only 7GB left to install games. The main thing we wanted to test was another feature - game streaming. You can run a game on one PC and stream the image and sound to a SteamOS box - for example, running a game in the library and streaming it to the PC connected by VGA to an HD TV. In that limited sense, you could run a Windows-only game 'on' a SteamOS box.

What worked: Booting, installing and running older and/or non-graphically-intensive games. E.g. Half-Life Blue Shift (circa 1998 game engine) or a recent 2D game like "Cthulhu Saves The World".

What didn't: Recent games, or streaming. Video and sound *did* show up, but not at a comfortably playable rate, and "slow decode" kept appearing in the corner of the image. (The connection was gigabit Ethernet, so the network wasn't likely to be a factor.) I suspect that streaming would work with any semi-recent dedicated graphics card, though.

Again, we knew going in that the box was under the recommended specs by a good margin. It was actually fairly impressive how much did work. It was able to put up a nice 1080p user interface and didn't post actual errors beyond the "slow decode" thing.

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it