[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows XP Pro with Linux!

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 13:26:58 EDT 2014

rstaff wrote:
> I am quite familiar with installing Linux for dual boot on two separate hard drives using Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
> Windows OS on drive number one and Linux OS on drive number two.  So I thought installing Linux across 2 hard drives
> would be similarly straight forward.  Ouch!  Not so.

I've never had a problem installing across multiple hard drives.

Until the appearance of SATA, I desktop machine typically had 3-5 SCSI hard drives in it, and
I would install across all of the drives for the specific purpose of trying to keep the SCSI
bandwidth divided up among as many read/write heads as possible (without resorting to striping).

I've never experienced any difficulty in this.  Just partition the disks, indicate the
partitions and mount-points to the installer, and go.  I don't know why a 2nd disk would
make this any more difficult.

> Clue --- Hint --- I am using Linux Mint and Ubuntu.

Ubuntu seems to be newbie-friendly to the point of experienced-admin hostile...