[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows XP Pro with Linux!

rstaff rstaff at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 23 07:01:59 EDT 2014

I am quite familiar with installing Linux for dual boot on two separate
hard drives using Linux Mint and Ubuntu.  Windows OS on drive number one
and Linux OS on drive number two.  So I thought installing Linux across
2 hard drives would be similarly straight forward.  Ouch!  Not so.
Clue --- Hint --- I am using Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
The Dell GX260 (target PC) was originally setup for Windows XP Pro on
disk #1 and Linux Mint 12 on disk #2.  Disk #2 had a "/" partition
(ext3), a "/home" partition (ext3), and a swap partition.
Apparently the Linux Mint 17 installer had some kind of problem with the
preexisting Linux formatting on drive number two.  It would only allow
me to format for Linux on drive number one.  I went ahead and did that.
Using an Lubuntu Live DVD as a rescue disk, I used GParted to format
disk #2 for Linux ext4.
I tried the "/home" partition move/copy process as Googled.
With repeated editing of the "/etc/fstab", and "/home" directory not
found messages, I finally tried the chown command (with sudo) to match
what it had been on disk #1.  Got a "Not authorized" message.  24 hours
without sleep, brain all fuzzy, so I tried a fresh (re)install of Linux
Mint 17.  The Linux Mint installer saw the second drive (finally) as
sdb1 and allowed a "/home" mount point to be applied to sdb1 (finally).
One Googled article that talked about installing Linux Mint, had as a
first step was using GParted to format the drive(s) and then using the
Linux Mint installer (a clue my messed up thinking ignored).
Anyways, all is well and my Dell GX260 is a brand new (all shiny clean)
Linux Mint 17 PC.
Thanks all,
Rick Staff
P.S. Did I mention that I like the user friendly Linux Mint.  Just
another pig headed Linux user.  ;-)