[mdlug] Completely replacing Windows XP Pro with Linux!

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jul 21 06:36:40 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-07-21 at 00:45 -0400, Garry Stahl wrote:
> On 07/17/2014 11:23 PM, Harry Burleson wrote:
> > As an alternative, after a successful installation on disk #1, you can
> > use a live distro: Pmagic, Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc. Then with Gparted
> > move the /home partition to disk #2 and edit /etc/fstab .
> That should not be necessary.  I have installed /root and /home on
> separate drives since I started using Linux.  It is my preferred
> instillation method.

Ditto.  I don't `get` this.  I install on multi-disk systems all the
time - it doesn't matter.   Is the issue here actually partitioning the
disks, booting, or dual-booting? [I have to admit I haven't dual-booted
anything in a decade or more, dual-booting is a horrible experience, and
with visualization almost entirely unnecessary].

If you use LVM, and make your physical disks physical volumes, you can
just add them to a volume group and forget about locality altogether.
No more fussing with partitions;  a world without partitions is a
beautiful place.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383