[mdlug] Fwd: [Discuss] Old Win 98se PC revelations I.

rstaff rstaff at sprynet.com
Thu Aug 7 03:21:55 EDT 2014

Originally sent from my gmail account, now trying my sprynet account.
Message was created while in SliTaz Linux, now several hours later,
resending from my Ubuntu 12.04 computer.

It's me again.
The only Linux kernels that will boot correctly into my old Win 98se
PC are those that fall below version 3.0.
Damn Small Linux uses Linux kernel 2.4 and does boot into a usable desktop.
SliTaz GNU/Linux uses Linux kernel 2.6.37 and boots into a usable desktop.
DSL's desktop has a primitive, blocky look to it.
SliTaz's desktop has a sleek, modern look to it.
By the way, the SliTaz Live CD provides the Midori Web Browser, which
does a terrible job of rendering web pages.  It is very, very slow.
Found the QtWeb Browser, put it on a USB stick, and now using it from
SliTaz Live CD.
QtWeb does a much, much better job of rendering web pages.
Another pig headed Linux user,
Rick Staff
P.S. Still testing/using wifi with SliTaz Live CD.  Will try a USB to
Ethernet converter, as soon as Amazon delivers it, for my next
experiment.