[mdlug] Install event - Dearborn library computers?

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Mon Apr 28 19:40:13 EDT 2014

I was thinking that we could do an install event.  Usually that's where everyone brings in devices to install new software.  We typically do Linux.  Maybe we could install Linux on some of the Dearborn library computers.

I see the library has some type of software to limit the time on the system and to restart fresh (clean system).  I'm not sure how we would do that.

I'd also like to suggest we could build some new computers for the library.
Here is a list of the MicroCenter parts for a total of about $330 for each computer:

Memory Ballistic Sport 4G 1600 $44.99.
Case Diamond mid-tower with 400 watt power suppliy $29.99.
CPU AMD FX Black Edition 3.9 GHZ six core AM3+ $129.99.
Motherboard  MSI 970A-G43 $59.99.
Harddrive SATA 8GB $14.99.
Keyboard USB 3.99.
Mouse $6.99.
Web Cam $8.99.
Video card XFX AMD Radon HD 5450 1GB 2.1 $17.99.

Monitor would be an additional $100. We could reuse some old parts to save money.

Perhaps we could get volunteers to assemble them and install software.