[mdlug] Capturing USB events for reverse-engineering?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Fri Sep 13 15:28:11 EDT 2013

     So, I've got this cheap USB microscope that both Windows and Linux
recognize as a standard webcam.  But it has a button on it to trigger
taking images, which only works with the Windows-only proprietary
software that came with the 'scope.  And it occurred to me that
detecting this button push under Linux and using it to trigger a capture
probably shouldn't be too hard (this unit is too cheap for the mfgr to
have spent much effort on anti-hacking measures).  But then I realized
-- I have no idea how one goes about this kind of thing.  It's just
never come up in my "Linux life" before.
     So... anyone know a good "idiot's guide" place to start?