[mdlug] hypervisor/vm

Gmail-otakurider otakurider at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 11:42:02 EDT 2013

I have never seen it correctly working on PC based systems, the issues
seemed to be the emulation support for the (VT-x and ADM-V) emulation of
that is still flaky, ESX Server was the most stable from testing.  I
have seen VM within VM on Data Center Systems Level server like HP
(K,N,V class) or IBM (Data Center).  The problem is the emulation of the
emulation of the system.  Even with V class HP's with 50G of memory
expansion, 8 CPU (yes 8 separate CPU's), a VM within a VM was prone to
crash and slow if you did any CPU intensive usage.  You have control of
the hardware with the first emulation but the second not so much.
Just load up with memory and run them separate and you should be fine
for anything you want to do.  I have run server based games (opensim,
etc.) in a VM and they run great.   Also make sure you enable the
visualization option in the bios, it will run more stable with 32bit and
64bit systems side by side.

Pat