[mdlug] Best Linux rig for capturing frames from analog video?

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Mon May 27 09:32:25 EDT 2013

On 5/24/2013 1:39 PM, Michael Mikowski wrote:

> David, this isn't intended to be a comprehensive answer. But honestly,
> an NTSC analog camera? That's what, 0.3 megapixels? The cost for a
> quality digital surveillance camera is maybe $200. That seems like a
> real easy number to justify given the opportunities and saved labor.
> And if you need to buy a video capture board, you might actually come
> out money ahead.

     Actually, this is a *very* expensive remote-controlled PTZ CCTV
camera.  I actually had an "emergency" post about this maybe two months
back b/c I needed to find such a camera *that day* locally. I would have
preferred one of the Sony hi-res digicams, but there weren't any
available in stock in the metro area.
     This camera is actually pretty good -- something like 780 TV lines,
if I recall correctly, and full optical zoom.  It makes quite a nice
image.  And, since it's what we already spent money on, I'm not getting
*any* budget for another camera.  I just need to get its Composite NTSC
input into a frame grabber to do some intervalometer captures.