[mdlug] Best Linux rig for capturing frames from analog video?

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Fri May 24 17:04:48 EDT 2013

You can get a USB web cam from "Microcenter.com" (SouthEast corner of I75 and 14 Mile) for under $10.  Linux has no problem with these cheap cameras.

If you can come to the next MDLUB meeting (June 8) I'll let you borrow one. Just let me know.

I've used "Cheese" to record video from one of the cheap USB web cams. It doesn't have any motion detection options.  I suppose you could buy (Microcenter again) a $60 terabyte disk drive to store video recorded continuously. But no guarantee this would work.

I don't know anything about software for video capture but I did a search and found this:
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/119249.aspx

NVRec

Another useful video capture software that is specifically designed for the Linux OS is NVrec. It captures video from several usb webcams and TV tuners that are compatible with V4L1 or V4L2 (Video4Linus programming interface). The software captures audio from several sources including OSS and ALSA. This is strictly a video recorder that outputs in several formats including Quicktime files, AVI, NuppelVideo format, and MPEG-1. One of the main advantages of this software is the audio stretcher feature which inserts the right amount of audio into a file to cover any lag between the audio and video cards.