[mdlug] Linux VMs - virtual disk best practices

Dan Pritts danno at dogcheese.net
Fri Mar 22 11:07:15 EDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Dan Pritts <danno at dogcheese.net> wrote:

> This is an issue on modern individual hard disks too; new large disks use 4KB sectors.  Make sure any filesystems you create use 4K or larger block sizes, and that your filesystems end up on 4K boundaries.
>
> The current rule of thumb for partition layout is to have your first partition start at 1MB into the disk. That seems pretty safe to me.  Doesn't really fix any issues on the underlying storage, though.

What I was attempting to say was that having your first partition start at 1MB into a disk is great when you are on a physical disk, and it should work great for 4KB sectors.  Or 64KB sectors or whatever in another 10 years.

"doesn't really fix any issues on the underlying storage"...

What I meant to write was that putting the first partition on a virtual disk at 1MB is great, but if the underlying storage is not properly aligned, having proper alignment on the virtual disk doesn't help.