[mdlug] What should we call the windows key on the keyboard?

Fri Jul 19 21:53:45 EDT 2013

Michael ORourke <mrorourke at earthlink.net>, on Fri  2013.07.19 said:
> I've known it as the "super" key.  But to me, that just seems wrong.  ;-)
> Reference:
> http://ubuntuguide.net/ubuntu-using-windows-keysuper-key-to-launch-gnome-main-menu
>
> -Mike

	Hi;

	Super is probably the most correct term, and the one I see used
most frequently. Wikipedia makes a claim it is the prefered term on
non-windows OSs, without much citation.

	Back in the day, there were actual keyboards with 'super'
keys long before the windows key appeared:

http://xahlee.info/kbd/lisp_keyboards.html

	Emacs users have been using this term for ages. Venders that
sell Linux machines often have a little Tux on that key, and I
think you can buy various stickers for it. The weston compositor
defaults to the super key being a modifier for manipulating windows
and aspects of the desktop. (Fortunately one can change that, if one
doesnt happen to possess any keyboards with this key...)

Paul