[mdlug] Ubuntu spyware

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Tue Jul 2 18:24:25 EDT 2013

2013-07-01, Monsieur Jim Fulner a ecrit:
> I would like to hear others opinons on the ideas and points mentioned here:
>
> http;//www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.html

Well I definitely agree with what Richard Stallman says in that
article. This kind of adware/spyware in a Linux distro is absolutely
reprehensible. Can you imagine the uproar if Microsoft did the same
thing? I don't see why Ubuntu should be let off the hook for this.

And the good news is that they aren't; people are voting with their
feet and (combined with the Unity fiasco) have been leaving Ubuntu in
droves. Canonical seems intent on alienating the larger Linux
community by going their own way on many things (e.g. Mir) in what
appears to be a desperate attempt to finally turn a profit. They've
gone from being the darling of the Linux community for making a
"Linux for humans" that "even grandma can install", to becoming a
bit of a joke (not to mention Mark Shuttleworth's increasingly
bizarre and arrogant remarks - though in a sense I can understand
his frustration over losing millions of dollars from his own personal
wealth on Ubuntu; that must sting him).

tl;dr: I don't think Ubuntu's future looks good.

Michael