[mdlug] File systems

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 12:17:39 EST 2013

Carl T. Miller wrote:
> Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> "Carl T. Miller" <carl at carltm.com> wrote:
>>> I have had very good luck with ext filesystems, and Red Hat
>>> uses ext4 by default.  I'd go with ext4.
>>
>> FWIW, Red Hat is switching to XFS as the default FS in RHEL7, if that is
>> your standard metric.
>
> Cool.  I had heard that but forgot about it.  So I guess
> I need to add XFS to my very short list.

XFS beats the hell out of every other filesystem that I've used.

1. The filesystem journal can be specified to be someplace other than
in the partition/volume holding the filesystem.

2. It is easily grown.

3. Will not run out of i-nodes

4. PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE.  I believe only ZFS might
have a performance edge on XFS when it comes to large and huge
filesystems, and large and huge files.

XFS was designed by SGI, to make real-time video editing possible
at a time when no other filesystem could handle the task on the
disk hardware of the time, other than for short snippets.

SGI had a performance goal to reach, and to do it on diskdrives
which today would be considered slow, and to reach that goal,
they developed XFS, because without it, SGI machines would have
had no significant advantage over competitors when it came to
one of SGI's primary customer bases--processing huge video files
at "real-time" speeds.