[mdlug] file copy

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Dec 30 10:35:50 EST 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 09:40 -0500, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 10:31 -0600, Bob wrote:
> >> I need to copy the contents of a hard drive to another, larger, hard
> >> drive.
> >> What are my options for most efficient/reliable methods?
> > Attach the drive.
> > Create a new physical volume ppvcreate] and add it to your volume group
> > [vgextend]
> > Move the logical volumes from the old physical volume to the new
> > physical volume [pvmove]
> > Remove the old physical volume from the volume group [pvremove]
> > Grow the logical volumes [lvextend]
> Adam, I love this answer because it means no downtime (assuming
> that the new drive can be hot installed).

And it preserves all meta-data, permissions, etc... which an rsync will
*not* unless you are very careful.

> However it does
> require an existing volume group which may not exist in Bob's
> environment.

Hey, this is **2013**.  If you are not using volume management -
reinstall now using volume management.

It is 2013/2014 and people are still screwing around with partitions?
In a word: "dumb".

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383