[mdlug] Parallella: A Supercomputer For Everyone by Adapteva — Kickstarter

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Oct 10 16:27:54 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:34:16PM -0700, Art Dries wrote:

> I had a bioinformatics project a year ago that could have used this.
> (genetic analysis scales very well)
>
> Anyone into high-end crypto could use a pair for an end-to-end VPN.
> (isn't math fun?)
>
> The specs, API, and code will all be OPEN, so the possibities are endless.
>
> For $100, this would make an excellent (insert idea here)

True, but I am trying to dispell any notion that this thing will
instantly turn your laptop into a 45GHz system.  The extra cores on
the system are specialized, and you need to write code specifically to
use it.

This is why I brought up the GPGPU use of video cards -- pretty much
the same thing as this, although it's being used already.  Yes, it is
cool that it's all open, but it'll be tough to beat the economics of
using cheap gaming cards on regular PCs.