[mdlug] Parallella: A Supercomputer For Everyone by Adapteva — Kickstarter

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Wed Oct 10 12:26:00 EDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 09:12 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 06:04 -0700, David Lane wrote:
>> I have looked into high performance computing the question is:
>> What application do you have that needs supercomputing?
> +1 This is 'cool', but 99.44% of users need a supercomputer as badly as
> they need a giant pink inflatable elephant.
>
> But that other 0.56% need one yesterday.
>
> A supercomputer is only useful for problems that can be decomposed in
> certain ways [or is worth figuring out how to decompose].  Otherwise an
> old-fashioned just-faster-computer is better.

As the gent pointed out "just faster" is hitting physical limits.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org