[mdlug] Parallella: A Supercomputer For Everyone by Adapteva — Kickstarter

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 09:36:54 EDT 2012

I work a t a college and there are about 300,000 accounts twice a year we have to "evaluate" the accounts. it takes 2 days to run.

There are a lot of reasons that system's the performance ... SUCKS. (Excuse me, I'll be nice) But even if the programming and resources were good or better something so massive would be a candidate for such an application.

With a linear problem it is simple but that is done at the application level. In the large number of accounts the solution would be sending chunks to worker bee applications then the results are sent back to the controller.

Since many of us have multi core pc's, that is a good place to start.

Now what problem is out there that can be tackled? What problem that uses a lot of resources that that they would benefit from by making it process faster?

Because when I step forward and offer a solution to the 2 day process of just 300,000 accounts I'm sent back to my cubicle.