[mdlug] linux firewall/vpn package like monowall

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon May 14 11:20:29 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 11:01 -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> got a query from my brother.
> he wants to host an app at a cloud provider (looking at rackspace).
> the data is hipaa protected, so he's understandably leery about
> security.
> one suggestion he got was to have a pair of VMs, one running the app
> and another running as a dedicated firewall/VPN.

Linode offers some kind of private network / back-end.  I've never used
it.  That can be used for database replaction, building fail-over
systems, etc....
<http://blog.linode.com/2008/03/14/private-back-end-network-support/>

> any suggestions for relatively simple firewall/vpn configuration tools
> that can be installed in a VM image from one of the big distros?
> rackspace in particular provides a fairly comprehensive list of linux
> distros, but from what i can tell you can't just install your own
> distro in a VM.  So, a dedicated distribution like monowall wouldn't
> work.  iirc monowall is freebsd-based anyway, but you get the idea.

I don't see any purpose or role for these dedicate purpose
distributions.  I just install a minimal OS and then install the
packages I need - that isn't hard.  On openSUSE / SUSE the Yast
administration tool will setup 99.44% of what you need.  Yast supports
OpenVPN and (I believe) IPsec.