[mdlug] T61p strange issue

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun May 6 11:11:38 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-05-05 at 12:34 -0400, Garry Stahl wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 10:53 AM, Gmail-otakurider wrote:
> > Installed Ubuntu 12.04 in a Thinkpad T61p, came across a strange issue,
> > if I keep the power plugged into the machine and try to shut down it
> > will not fully shutdown, fans stay running, but if I unplug the power
> > then shutdown it shuts down fine.  11.04 and 11.10 worked fine, did a
> > bit of searching it seems to be a bug for some, anyone else with T61p
> > have same issue?
> I use Open SUSE

On openSUSE this is configured in the file /etc/sysconfig/shutdown

In this file HALT="auto" which is the correct behavior 99.44% of the
time.  Some platforms don't really have a power-off operation and on
rare [broken] x86 hardware attempting to power-off will hang the machine
hard (so you want to avoid doing that).