[mdlug] Consequences of 'noacpi'?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 22:28:15 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mat Enders wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Aaron Kulkis<akulkis00 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> This is one reason why I like opensuse
>>>

>> Linus disagrees with you
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5
>>

> So I've heard.
>
> However, if opensuse were to take his suggestion, and make it
> so that printers can be added or deleted without root access,
> then how suitable would it be for use on computers other than
> laptops?
>
> Basically, the printer configuration issue is an edge
> case -- in some cases, such as laptops, it might be
> VERY desirable to allow users to add /delete printers
> whenever, without any privileged access.
>
> Now, take that same default behavior and put it
> in the commercial setting.  Do you really want
> a checkout cashier to have even the theoretical
> ability to chose what printer her Point of Sale
> terminal is going to print a receipt on?

POS and kiosk systems aren't something I'd be running OpenSUSE on.
I've set them up with customized Debian, and I'd look to using Gentoo
for them in the future, but when you're looking at those scenarios,
you're doing some heavily custom configurations.

> Do you
> really want clerks and middle managers to have
> the ability to set up and start sending print jobs
> to specialized printers?  "Hey, my kid's graduation
> is coming up.  I've got some old photos of him on
> this USB flash memory stick -- I'll just print
> them on that nifty dye sublimation printer over
> in the sales & public relations department!

You're talking about network security, now; get your print server
properly locked down such that it doesn't accept jobs except from
authorized users.

--
:wq